[B-Greek] Where does meaning come from?

Eric Inman eric-inman at comcast.net
Thu Apr 1 06:58:30 EDT 2010

I would take this a little further.

Communication, including verbal and nonverbal, is a stimulus for inducing certain responses (cognitive, emotional, etc.) in the recipient. For the most part it is constructed based on mutually accepted (both conscious and unconscious) correlations between the elements of communication (words, gestures, etc.) and responses. Generally the greater the development of mutually accepted correlations the less the volume of communication that is required. Most of the correlations are based on meanings in a shared cognitive framework, but that is not the only basis.

Error correction involves a second dimension, that of redundancy from an information theoretic standpoint. Human communication is highly redundant (i.e. compressible) in order to reduce the coding/decoding effort (i.e. simplify the correlations required and their span) and to make coding/decoding validation and error correction possible. Error correction is needed both for coding/decoding errors as well errors occurring during transmission. That's why CB radio users, for example, add a lot more redundancy to their communication.

Eric Inman