[B-Greek] "Take it as it comes ... "

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 31 15:04:43 EDT 2009

--- On Thu, 10/29/09, Carl Conrad <cwconrad2 at mac.com> wrote:

<Michael Gilleland, old curmudgeon, "Laudator temporis acti," has a
nice postt this morning knocking one of my pet peeves -- reading Greek
as "decoding" a cryptographic text.

"One of my Greek teachers used to say, at least once during every
class, "Take it as it comes," by which he meant, "Try to understand
the Greek words in the order in which they appear." Years later, I am
still trying to follow this wise counsel. My natural tendency is not
to "take it as it comes," but to skip around, to find the main clause
with subject and verb first. ... ">

Hi, Carl.

Would the Greeks, to get even, decode Mr. Frost thus?

"I think I know whose woods these are, though
his house is in the villiage."

Mark L
FWSFOROS