[B-Greek] MISEW in Lk 14:26

rhutchin at aol.com rhutchin at aol.com
Sat Oct 31 12:06:10 EDT 2009

As MISEW is the condition for becoming a disciple of Jesus,  it may be that a study of the word, MAQHTHS, would help to sort out the meaning of MISEW and then the proper translation.  If being a disciple meant that a person must always yield to the commands of the master over the desires of family, we might not be surprised at family members concluding that the disciple must certainly hate them but perhaps they only exaggerate.  Absent a knowledge of Hebrew culture, a knowledge of one's mother might be sufficient to determine what reaction the continual preference for the master over the mother might elicit even if she were not a Jewish mother.

One problem with a translation such as "love less" is to determine what less means and now you are having to sort out the meaning of the translation and not the Greek.  This does not seem to be an issue of Greek grammar.

Roger Hutchinson