[B-Greek] Mark 7:18-19

John Sanders john.franklin.sanders at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 07:06:43 EDT 2009

My own thoughts on this passage is that καθαριζον (KAQARIZON) is probably
the original term used.  Beginning with verse 18 there are two οτι (OTI)
clauses, the second beginning with verse 19 and ending with the word
εκπορευεται (EKPOREUETAI).  The clause καθαιζον παντα τα βρωματα (KAUARIZON
PANTA TA BRWMATA) is the concluding phrase summing up the food law.
Beginning with verse 20 the conversation now emphasizes what is truly
unclean.  In other words, βρωματα (BRWMATA) is ορθο (nominative) plural
construing with a verb in the singular.  I know that the participal is not a
true verb in that sense, but I suspect it will perform accordingly in
speech.

John Sanders
Suzhou, China

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Leonard Jayawardena <leonardj at live.com>wrote:

> Donald Cobb wrote:

> If we retained the neutral KAQARIZON, I would find it extremely difficult,
> in terms of meaning, to connect it with PAN TO EKSWTHEN in v. 18 or with the
> understood subject of the verbs in v. 19: "For it enters... into the bellly
> and goes out into the latrine, purifying all foods". IMO, the sentence thus
> understood is nonsensical; can we say that the food that enters, etc.,
> pronounces all foods clean?
>
> I don't think that turning into a question, as does NA, gives a good
> meaning, either.
>
> If we chose to retain the neutral, I think we would have to understand the
> subject as an unexpressed relative, hO, hOTI or something along those lines,
> and paraphrase: "This statement of Jesus pronounced all foods pure."
>
> Unquote
>
> LJ: With regard to the past para., cannot the antecedent of the participle
> (if "antecedent" is the correct term) be taken as the whole thought
> expressed by the words from PAN TO EXWQEN to EKPOREUETAI, so that the idea
> is that the biological process described by these words purifies the food
> consumed? (The meaning is still nonsensical, of course, as I have explained
> in my last post.)
>
> This would be analagous to the idea expressed by a clause/s sometimes being
> the antecedent of a relative pronoun in English, as in the sentence "The
> crowd went berserk and started smashing property, which compelled the
> authorities to send in the riot police."
>
> Is a similar phenomenon occurring in Mark 7:19 with the neuter participle
> KAQARIZON?
>

> Leonard Jayawardena

John Sanders
Suzhou, China