[B-Greek] Mark 7:18-19

Leonard Jayawardena leonardj at live.com
Sat Oct 31 04:17:25 EDT 2009

Donald Cobb wrote:

If we retained the neutral KAQARIZON, I would find it extremely difficult, in terms of meaning, to connect it with PAN TO EKSWTHEN in v. 18 or with the understood subject of the verbs in v. 19: "For it enters... into the bellly and goes out into the latrine, purifying all foods". IMO, the sentence thus understood is nonsensical; can we say that the food that enters, etc., pronounces all foods clean?

I don't think that turning into a question, as does NA, gives a good meaning, either.

If we chose to retain the neutral, I think we would have to understand the subject as an unexpressed relative, hO, hOTI or something along those lines, and paraphrase: "This statement of Jesus pronounced all foods pure."

Unquote

LJ: With regard to the past para., cannot the antecedent of the participle (if "antecedent" is the correct term) be taken as the whole thought expressed by the words from PAN TO EXWQEN to EKPOREUETAI, so that the idea is that the biological process described by these words purifies the food consumed? (The meaning is still nonsensical, of course, as I have explained in my last post.)

This would be analagous to the idea expressed by a clause/s sometimes being the antecedent of a relative pronoun in English, as in the sentence "The crowd went berserk and started smashing property, which compelled the authorities to send in the riot police."

Is a similar phenomenon occurring in Mark 7:19 with the neuter participle KAQARIZON?

Leonard Jayawardena