[B-Greek] Mk 3:21 Codex W

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Fri Oct 30 11:00:01 EDT 2009

On Oct 30, 2009, at 8:39 AM, Wieland Willker wrote:

> Codex W 032 reads in Mk 3:21
>
> KAI AKOUSANTES PERI AUTOU hOI GRAMMATEIS KAI hOI LOIPOI, EXHLQON
> KRATHSAI
> AUTON, ELEGAN GAR OTI EXHRTHNTAI AUTOU.
>

> I am having difficulty understanding EXHRTHNTAI.
> It is from EXARTAW.
> BDAG suggests the meaning "they are adherents of him".
> I am not sure if this makes sense:
> "When the scribes and the others heard about him, they went out to
> restrain
> him, for they were saying, "they are adherents of him".
>
> Can anyone make sense of this?

BDAG #2 is quite right; it's worth looking at LSJ on this too.
EXARTAOMAI means ("lierally") "hang from" and for that reason takes a
genitive complement. But it's a common word for "attach to" in the
sense of "make something hang from" and therefore "attach something
to." But the metaphorical sense of "hang on" or even (of persons
associated with a person) "be hangers-on." So EXHTHNTAI AUATOU means
"they are his hangers-on" = "they are closely associated with him.'