[B-Greek] westscott hort byzantine difference

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Fri Oct 30 08:02:43 EDT 2009

On Oct 29, 2009, at 11:21 PM, hoshi411 wrote:

> τω αγγελω τω εν εφεσω εκκλησιας γραψον
> ταδε λεγει ο κρατων τους επτα αστερας
> εν τη δεξια αυτου ο περιπατων εν μεσω
> των επτα λυχνιων των χρυσων.
> TW AGGELW TW EN EFESW EKKLHSIAS GRAYON TADE LEGEI hO KRATWN TOUS EPTA
> ASTERAS EN TH DEXIA AUTOU hO PERIPATWN EN MESW TWN EPTA LUCVIWN TWN
> CRUSWN.
> (Westscott Hort Revelation of John 2:1)
>
> To the messenger who's in Ephesis, belonging to a council, write:
> ‘The words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who
> walks among the seven golden lampstands.
>
> τω αγγελω της εν εφεσω εκκλησιας
> γραψον ταδε λεγει ο κρατων τους επτα
> αστερας εν τη δεξια αυτου ο περιπατων
> εν μεσω των επτα λυχνιων των χρυσων.
> TW AGGELW THS EN EFESW EKKLHSIAS GRAYON TADE LEGEI hO KRATWN TOUS EPTA
> ASTERAS EN TH DEXIA AUTOU hO PERIPATWN EN MESW TWN EPTA LUCVIWN TWN
> CRUSWN.
> (Byzantine Revelation of John 2:1)
>
> To the messenger of the council in Ephesis, write: ‘The words of him
> who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven
> golden lampstands.
>

> 1. Do the westscott hort and Byzantine texts contradict each other in
> this verse?

Not in meaning; both really mean "to the angel of the church/
congregation in Ephesus" -- but the text of the MT (Byzantine) that
you cite is a Greek that conforms better to standard Greek grammatical
patterns. The text of WH seems to situate the angel in Ephesus and
attach EKKLHSIAS awkwardly to the angel.

> 2. Or did someone just misprint the THS into a TW?

That's not likely because THS reads more smoothly and follows, as I've
noted, the more standard pattern of Greek usage. Since the author of
Revelation is well-known (notorious?) for writing awkward Greek, the
Byzantine text probably "emended" the awkward TW to the more standard
THS.