[B-Greek] understanding TWN EKKLESIWN

hoshi411 hoshi411 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 23:51:32 EDT 2009

SECULAR USE
In all the cases I have found on Perseus so far, the Genitive Plural
TWN EKKLHSIWN is only used in reference to conferences or civil
committee meetings or discussions or negotiations. It seems to refer
to meetings where dialogue and negotiation happens.

FOR EXAMPLE
εἴρηκε δὲ ὡς ἐν τῇ προτέρᾳ τῶν
ἐκκλησιῶν δημηγορήσαντος
Φιλοκράτους, ὕστερον ἀναβὰς ἐγὼ
κατεμεμψάμην ἣν εἰσηγεῖτο ἐκεῖνος
εἰρήνην
EIRHKE DE hWS EN TH PROTERA TWN EKKLHSIWN DHMHGORHSANTOS FILOKRATOUS,
USTERON ANABAS EGW KATEMEMYAMHN HN EISHGEITO EKEINOS EIRHNEN
But he has said that at the first OF the two MEETINGS OF THE CIVIL
COMMITTEE, after Philocrates had spoken,
(Aeschines. Speeches [ Aeschin. speech 2 section 63 ])

English and Greek were taken from the following site.
Full text can be seen here.
http://artflx.uchicago.edu/perseus-cgi/citequery3.pl?dbname=PerseusGreekTexts&getid=0&query=Aeschin.%202.163

PAUL'S USE
But Paul uses it as if TWN EKKLHSIWN refers to individuals themselves
and not to any kind of meeting.

FOR EXAMPLE
* 2 Corinthians 11:28 And, apart from other things, there is the daily
pressure on me of my anxiety for THE COUNCIL MEMBERS (the of ekklesia)
throughout.
(how can he be burdened for anything but people? this cant be a
conference.)

* 1 Thessalonians 2:14 For you, brothers, became imitators of THE
MEMBERS OF THE CIVIL COUNCIL (of God in Christ Jesus) that are in
Judea. For you suffered the same things from your own countrymen as
they did from the Jews,
(there was only one church in judea. Unless paul is referring to
individual people as assemblies this sentence makes no sense. How can
you imitate an assembly? It must be individuals he is referring to.)

QUESTION
Is it possible that in all of secular Greek speaking history the word
EKKLHSIA has ever even once meant "member"? To be one "of ekklesia".

For example.

I am Josh THS Japan EKKLHSIAS. (I am Josh a member of Japan's council)
Anyone else here THS  EKKLHSIAS? (Anyone else here a member?)

- Joshua Robison THS Osaka Japan EKKLHSIAS
hoshi411 at gmail.com