[B-Greek] Literary criticism NOT (was "Re: Mark 7:18-19")

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Thu Oct 29 08:00:48 EDT 2009

On Oct 29, 2009, at 1:46 AM, Bryant J. Williams III wrote:

> I would agree with the latter assessment since the parallel passage
> of Matthew
> 15:10-20 gives a more detailed explanation of what Jesus is saying.
> This is
> especially true of 16-20 which is a detailed answer to Peter's
> question in vs.
> 15. It seems that Mark is just summarizing the Matthean passage for
> his Roman
> audience since Jesus' statement in vss. 18-19 concerns Jewish
> dietary laws.

List-members should steer clear of stating judgments that depend upon
hermeneutical and literary-critical assumptions about which views of
other list-members are likely to range across a broad spectrum of
views that may be deeply held. Synoptic theory concerning the sources
and literary relationships between the NT gospels are controversial
and are not to be hashed out in B-Greek discussion. Please let's not
talk about matters of the priority of one gospel over another, how
each gospel may or may not derive from a common oral or written
source, how any one evangelist may have "edited" or "redacted"
another. One appropriate outlet for those who wish to argue (or simply
discuss) these issues is the Synoptic-L list which is hosted at Mark
Goodacre's web-site: http://www.markgoodacre.org/synoptic-l/ These
issues are NOT open to discussion on B-Greek.
----
BG FAQ:

Keeping discussion informative and constructive:

-- Comments should focus upon issues directly related to Biblical
Greek or a biblical Greek text. If, in the judgment of list-
moderators, discussion is moving beyond parameters deemed appropriate
for the list, a thread may be closed; those who continue to post on a
closed thread may lose list privileges.

-- Those who participate in the conference represent a wide range of
theological and denominational perspectives, perhaps even including
some whose interests are purely academic. Deep religious convictions
surely characterize many, perhaps most, of the list-participants, and
some of these convictions bear directly upon how the Biblical text is
to be understood. At the core of our discussion, however, is not what
our convictions are but what the Greek text may legitimately be
understood to mean. If discussion of this nature is to succeed, proper
respect and courtesy to other list members is important. While
scholarly debate, including disagreement, is encouraged as a goal of
this conference, attacks upon the character, intelligence, or faith of
those participating are not acceptable. Criticism must focus upon the
arguments of others; it may not be directed to the individual.

-- B-Greek must not be used either to attack or to defend any
particular doctrine deemed "orthodox" by one or another individual or
group; this is not the forum for apologetic controversy.

-- Those who violate these policies will be contacted politely by the
B-Greek staff and requested to conform to these guidelines. Those who
continue to violate the policies will no longer be welcome in the
conference.
----
Carl W. Conrad
Co-Chair, B-Greek List