[B-Greek] Mark 7:18-19

Bryant J. Williams III bjwvmw at com-pair.net
Thu Oct 29 01:46:54 EDT 2009

Dear Leonard,

I could be wrong here, but ISTM that KAQARIZON may have been pronounced
similarly to KAQARIZWN at the time of Mark writing his gospel. There is also
Metzger's comment in his Textual Commentary on page 95,

    "The overwhelming weight of manuscript evidence supports the reading of
KAQARIZWN. The difficulty of construing this word in the sentence (1) prompted
copyists to attempt various corrections and ameliorations."

    "(1)    Many modern scholars, following the interpretations suggested by
Origen and Chrysostom, regard KAQARIZWN as connected grammatically with LEGEI in
ver. 18, and take it as the evangelist's comment on the implications of Jesus'
words concerning Jewish dietary laws."

I would agree with the latter assessment since the parallel passage of Matthew
15:10-20 gives a more detailed explanation of what Jesus is saying. This is
especially true of 16-20 which is a detailed answer to Peter's question in vs.
15. It seems that Mark is just summarizing the Matthean passage for his Roman
audience since Jesus' statement in vss. 18-19 concerns Jewish dietary laws.

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III