[B-Greek] MISEW in Lk 14:26

Aaron Marshall greekmeister1 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 28 09:22:17 EDT 2009

Hi Mike,

I absolutely agree with you that usage determines meaning in language.  I did not clarify that in my previous post.  What I consider the lexical meaning of a word is how it is most commonly used in a given language.  We have to look at how MISEW was used in that language in that time to determine what its semantic range actually was.  As far as I can tell, there isn't really enough data to warrant positing that MISEW could actually denote "to love less" at the time Luke (or whoever) wrote the gospel.  That is the value of figures of speech like hyperbole.  The harshness of the saying guarantees that a. it will catch the attention of Jesus' hearers and b. make them really think about what he's saying.  What did he mean by the statement that his disciples must hate their families and lives?  To say that "love less" falls within the normal range of meanings for MISEW takes the teeth out of Jesus' saying.  Of course, if we think that Jesus was speaking Aramaic in this instance, the real question to ask could be what Aramaic word did he use and what is the range of meaning for THAT word?  A question that's probably out of place in this list.  I still don't think it's linguistically proper to say that MISEW means "love less."  I haven't seen the data to warrant that conclusion.

Aaron Marshall