[B-Greek] Verb "pempo"

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Wed Oct 28 07:58:37 EDT 2009

On Oct 28, 2009, at 1:13 AM, Pere Porta wrote:

> On verb "to send".
>
> I'm wondering: do "EPEMPSA" (Rev 22:16), "APESTEILA" (Nm 22:37) and
> "APESTALKA" (Gn 38:23) mean exactly the same thing: I sent?
> Or is there any difference between the three?

There aapear to be two questions here: (1) Are PEMPW and APOSTELLW
synonymous? and (2) Are the aorist and present perfect indicative 1st
sg. forms cited here equivalent in tense or aspect?

As for (1) I think Louw & Nida do point to synonymity in the two
senses: dispatch a person or persons and dispatch a thing:
15.66 πέμπωa; ἀποστέλλωa; ἀπολύωb [PEMPWa;
APOSTELLWa; APOLUW]: to cause someone to depart for a particular purpose
15.67 πέμπωc; ἀποστέλλωb; ἐξαποστέλλωb
[PEMPWc; APOSTELLWb; EXAPOSTELLWb]: to send a message, presumably by
someone

As for (2) we need the texts within contexts:
Rev. 22:16 Ἐγὼ Ἰησοῦς ἔπεμψα τὸν
ἄγγελόν μου μαρτυρῆσαι ὑμῖν ταῦτα
ἐπὶ ταῖς ἐκκλησίαις. ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ
ῥίζα καὶ τὸ γένος Δαυίδ, ὁ ἀστὴρ ὁ
λαμπρὸς ὁ πρωϊνός.  [EGW IHSOUS EPEMYA TON AGGELON MOU
MARTURHSAI hUMIN TAUTA EPI TAIS EKKLHSIAIS. EGW EIMI hH hRIZA KAI TO
GENOS DAUID, hO ASTHR hO LAMPROS hO PRWINOS. ]
Num. 22:37 καὶ εἶπεν Βαλακ πρὸς Βαλααμ
Οὐχὶ ἀπέστειλα πρὸς σὲ καλέσαι σε;
διὰ τί οὐκ ἤρχου πρός με; ὄντως οὐ
δυνήσομαι τιμῆσαί σε;  [KAI EIPEN BALAK PROS BALAAM
OUCI APESTEILA PROS SE KALESAI SE; DIA TI OUK HRCOU PROS ME; ONTWS OU
DUNHSOMAI TIMHSAI SE;]
Gen. 38:23 εἶπεν δὲ Ιουδας Ἐχέτω αὐτά,
ἀλλὰ μήποτε καταγελασθῶμεν· ἐγὼ
μὲν ἀπέσταλκα τὸν ἔριφον τοῦτον, σὺ
δὲ οὐχ εὕρηκας. [EIPEN DE IOUDAS ECETW AUTA, ALLA MHPOTE
KATAGELASQWMEN· EGW MEN APESTALKA TON ERIFON TOUTON, SU DE OUC
hEURHKAS.]

I would have to be convinced that there's any difference in aspect
between the aorists and the perfect here; all are perfective and I
don't believe there's really any stative force to APESTALKA in Gen
38:23.