[B-Greek] MISEW in Lk 14:26

Bryant J. Williams III bjwvmw at com-pair.net
Wed Oct 28 02:32:29 EDT 2009

Dear Antonio,

I would recommend reading,  NIDNTT, edited by Colin Brown, Vol. 1, pp. 555-557
by H. Seebass. He makes several points that really fit the situation better than
BDAG.
    1)    Classical Greek: attested since Homer with the meaning of hate, abhor,
reject.
        a)    The vb. connotes not only antipathy to certain actions, but also a
permanent and deep-seated human hostility towards other men or even the deity.
        b)    Of the gods' abhorence of the base aspects of man's nature
(Euripides, Orestes, 708f) and divine hatred of unrighteous men who are the
objects of divine punishment (Aeschlus; cf. also TDNT, Vol 4, 683f).

    2)    Old Testament (LXX) nearly always uses MISEW for SN).
        a)    Of particular interest is the passive, MISEOMAI, especially the
participle, MISOUMENH, can also be used of a wife who is not loved (Gen 29:31,
33; Deut. 21:15ff; 22:13ff; Isa. 60:15).
        b)     II Sam. 13 portrays the transfer of strong desire to utter
loathing. "Then Amnon hated her with very great hatred; so that the hatred with
which he hated her was greater than the love with which he had loved her." (RSV;
cf. 13:1-2). (page 555)

    3)    New Testament has 39x in all, but 20x in the Johannine writings.
        a)    According to the teachings of Jesus it is God who now accepts
those who were once His enemies (Mt. 5:43ff; Lk. 15:11ff). It therefore no
longer is any warrant for the "sons of righteousness" to hate the "sons of
darkness." (1QS 1)
        b)    I quote this at length. "Jesus' radical command to love one's
enemies brings the disciples into line with God's action towards good and evil
men (Matt. 5:45 ff.; Lk. 6:35). But Jesus could also say: "If anyone comes to me
and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers
and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple" (Lk. 14:26;
cf. Jn. 12:25). Like God himself (Deut. 13:6 ff.), Jesus thus requires  that
obedience to God must take precedence over all human obligations. God's own
action and demands are represented in him, Jesus." (page 556)

En Xristwi,

Rev. Bryant J. Williams III