[B-Greek] MISEW in Lk 14:26

Michael Aubrey mga318 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 27 22:51:20 EDT 2009

Aaron,

If a give word's meaning isn't based on its usage, how exactly do you determine the meaning of a given word?

It is exactly through things like hyperbole that words gain new meanings. For example, we currently use the word "overwhelmed" to mean something like, "to be presented with an excessive amount." Originally, a word that has fallen completely out of usage had that exact meaning: whelmed. Then Speakers,  wanting to be hyperbolic, began add "over" to the front and now "whelmed" has virtually disappeared from the contemporary English speaker's mental lexicon.

Mike Aubrey
http://evepheso.wordpress.com

________________________________
I differentiate what a word means from how a speaker or writer uses it in a particular context.  I actually believe that in some contexts the intended meaning of MISEW is something along the lines of "love less", but that is not what the word actually means lexically, which was originally my point.  I don't believe that because someone uses hyperbole with MISEW (Jesus, the writer/editor of Genesis) we should postulate new meanings for the word.  Let's allow the word to mean what it means and recognize rhetoric and figures of speech where we see them.  I'm probably way off of the reservation by modern linguistic standards for saying this.

Aaron Marshall
> From: kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
> To: b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org
> Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 08:53:23 -0700
> Subject: Re: [B-Greek] MISEW in Lk 14:26
>

> On Oct 27, 2009, at 8:47 AM, Aaron Marshall wrote:
>
> > Hence, MISEW does not mean "to love less"
>
> J. W. WEVERS, Noteson the Greek Text of Genesis (SBLSCS 35; Atlanta
> 1993) p. 471
>
> "So MISEITAI is intended as 'less loved'."
>

> Elizabeth Kline

B-Greek mailing list
B-Greek at lists.ibiblio.org