[B-Greek] MISEW in Lk 14:26

Aaron Marshall greekmeister1 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 27 16:28:44 EDT 2009

Hi Elizabeth,

> J. W. WEVERS, Noteson the Greek Text of Genesis (SBLSCS 35; Atlanta
> 1993) p. 471
>
> "So MISEITAI is intended as 'less loved'."

I differentiate what a word means from how a speaker or writer uses it in a particular context.  I actually believe that in some contexts the intended meaning of MISEW is something along the lines of "love less", but that is not what the word actually means lexically, which was originally my point.  I don't believe that because someone uses hyperbole with MISEW (Jesus, the writer/editor of Genesis) we should postulate new meanings for the word.  Let's allow the word to mean what it means and recognize rhetoric and figures of speech where we see them.  I'm probably way off of the reservation by modern linguistic standards for saying this.

Aaron Marshall