[B-Greek] MISEW in Lk 14:26

Aaron Marshall greekmeister1 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 27 11:47:49 EDT 2009

 Hi Antonio,

First, let me say that I miss-typed...I was referring to the BDAG and mistakenly referred to it as the BAGD.  I will not respond to most of the rest of your post (though it is well written and argued), since at the very least I am not knowledgeable enough about Semitic languages to have a firm opinion about it.  I will say that for me its important to understsand what the word "meaning" means.  I am not a linguist, so this may be completely incorrect, but I differentiate between the denotative value of a word (how the lexicon defines it) and what it can possibly mean in a given context.  I tend to think that "hate" in Luke 14:26 is a figure of speech that connotes the idea of "loving less", but I don't believe that MISEW carries that denotative value.  Hence, MISEW does not mean "to love less", but Jesus (I think) used that word to mean something like that there.   All that to say, when I denied in my previous post that MISEW means "love less", I was making the point that nothing about the word itself in Jesus' statement would indicate that it means anything other than "to abhor, detest, hate."  We have to look at things like Jesus' overall teaching, his cultural and linguistic background, the context of the statement, etc. to come to a different meaning for MISEW.

Aaron Marshall