[B-Greek] pre first century non christian use of ekklesia

Sarah Madden sarah.r.madden at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 06:49:27 EDT 2009

Joshua --
For free software, go on www.greekbiblestudy.org -- but I didn't try it out.
You can also send an e-mail if you need help (Pete Coad is great at
responding to questions).

BibleWorks is a great tool for this and its price is quite reasonable (
www.bibleworks.com). Here is what I found in the Septuagint (beware that the
frequency might depend on which LXX version was used). The total of
nominative and dative singular is 56x (but the list I used did not
distinguish between the two). Here are some examples of EKKLHSIA in all
forms of the singular and one in the plural:

Nominative singular -- 1 Sam 17:47; 1 Kings 8:14; 1 Chron 13:4; 2 Chron 1:3,
1:5; 6:3; 7:8; 10:3; 23:3, etc.
Genitive singular (26x) -- Deut 4:10; Prov 5:14; Sirach 46:7, etc.
Dative singular  -- Micah 2:5 et al.
Accusative singular (19x) -- Deu 23:2, 3, 4, 9; Sirach 24:1, etc.

Dative plural (2x) -- Ps 25;12, Ps 67:27

Apparently, the use of EKKLHSIA in the plural is rare, at least it is in the
LXX.

Sarah ><>