[B-Greek] MISEW in Lk 14:26

Albert Pietersma albert.pietersma at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 26 22:44:12 EDT 2009

So BDAG is not BAGD. Well and good. That does not, however, affect the
point at issue: Gen 29.31 cannot be cited as the BASIS for this sense
(your #2).  In other words, Gen 29.31 rather than producing a new
sense of MISEW (as you imply) simply reflects an established sense of
this word.
Moreover, what Hebrew NS) can mean or cannot mean is quite irrelevant
to the meaning of MISEW in Gen 29:31----unless you are suggesting that
semantic transfer occurs automatically when Hebrew X is paired with
Greek Y.  The latter assumption gave rise to many a "new" meaning for
well known Greek words in LSJ. Most of these are absent from Muraoka's
Lexicon.
Al

—
Albert Pietersma PhD