[B-Greek] MISEW in Lk 14:26

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 26 21:34:06 EDT 2009

If you assume that BAGD is the same as BDAG, you assume incorrectly.  The entry (without giving all of the details) is as I presented it.  Gen 29.31 is included under sense #2 in BDAG.  Although I would expect the LXX to more or less reflect the sense of the MT, I think you have missed something regarding the Hebrew.  The Hebrew states   וַיַּרְא יְהוָה כִּי־שְׂנוּאָה,  which would not have simply one sense.  HALOT states regarding the verb שׂנא that

B. not to be able to endure a woman any longer, decrease her status, see THAT 2:836, see above on

I should think that "decrease her status" would correspond fairly well to the use of μισέω MISEW in Lk 14.26.שנאin EgArm. and cf. Akk. zêru in the context of family law, see AHw. 1522b, and also the quotations in CAD Z: 97b, zêru 1.1, including some from the Laws of Hammurabi: Dt 2213.16 243 Ju 1416 152; שְׂנוּאָהa woman who has been scorned, decreased in status Gn 2931.33 Dt 2115.17 Pr 3023 Sir 726, cf. Is 6015 (צִיּוֹן).

george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.