[B-Greek] The Lightman Paradox of Greek Audio Learning

Daniel, Robert S rob.daniel at hp.com
Mon Oct 26 11:54:17 EDT 2009

ML: " I can’t imagine that it will be
of much interest to anyone BUT me."

It is of interest to me, so thanks for posting your observations on this. I'm not sure about what you say about the value of listening to Greek while reading English. I've tried that some and I'm not so sure that it has no value. It is interesting to me that usually I can keep track of where the reader is in the English even if I wouldn't be understanding a substantial amount if I were only listening to the Greek. If I then listen to the same passage without the English, I can often still understand it better than I did before listening while reading English.

I haven't tried the reverse of this, so thanks for the suggestion.

The thing that seems to work the best for me is to listen repeatedly to the Greek. After several initial listenings I can begin to recognize things like what episode is happening (from my previous acquaintance with the story in English). I can identify who is speaking and who they are speaking to, etc. Gradually more of the detail gets filled in. But the most value comes from focusing on a single chapter, printing a copy of the Greek text that I can mark up, reading it to myself and highlighting the words that I need to look up, then looking them up in BDAG and writing in the appropriate gloss, then going back and listening again several times and when necessary looking at my "cheat sheet". After multiple iterations of this I can eventually get to the point where I can listen to the Greek and understand the whole chapter. The best part of this procedure is that once I get to this point, it seems to be fixed permanently in my mind, that is, I can come back to the chapter later after not having listened to it for a long time, and I can still follow it.

I seem to get some value out of listening to the Greek while following the Greek text, too. It can help with understanding what is being said in places where I am mis-hearing or not breaking the spoken text into individual words correctly, etc. I think it might help with remembering spellings and helping to learn to read faster, also.

I wonder if anybody has ever done any kind of scientific study of these kinds of learning strategies? In any case, it seems valuable to me to share what individual people have found to work and not to work.
Rob