[B-Greek] Matthew 26:64 συ ειπας

Cornell Machiavelli cornellmachiavelli at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 23 18:50:52 EDT 2009

Elizabeth,

You wrote:

"The search of TLG-E seems to indicate that SU EIPAS in answer to a
question was NOT an established greek idiom. I appears to function in
the passion narratives as a means for throwing a question back at
questioner without giving a definite answer."

But the expression SU + LEGW/EIPAS means "yes" in all its usages, not just the passion section. I would say the translation of this unusual idiom might be open for refinement, but all the usages in the GNT (all, if my Accordance is working) of SU + LEGW, when used in a question, returns a "yes" answer. What I'm trying to determine is the 'origin' of this expression. Can anyone do an LXX search or pre-CE Greek literary (or Latin) search? Is the TLG search engine open to the public?

 Sincerely,

C. Q. Machiavelli