[B-Greek] Matthew 26:64 συ ειπας

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 23 17:34:10 EDT 2009

It would seem that to categorize the use of πλὴν PLHN as a negation is contradicted by the usage.  Take Mt 11.21-22 as an example

21οὐαί σοι, Χοραζίν, οὐαί σοι, Βηθσαϊδά·ὅτι εἰ ἐν Τύρῳ καὶ Σιδῶνι ἐγένοντο αἱ δυνάμεις αἱ γενόμεναι ἐν ὑμῖν, πάλαι ἂν ἐν σάκκῳ καὶ σποδῷ μετενόησαν.22πλὴνλέγω ὑμῖν, Τύρῳ καὶ Σιδῶνι ἀνεκτότερον ἔσται ἐν ἡμέρᾳ κρίσεως ἢ ὑμῖν.
21 OUAI SOI, XOAZIN, OUAI SOI, BHQSAÏDA, hORI EI TURWi KAI SIDWNI EGENONTO hAI DUNAMEIS hAI GENOMENAI EN hUMIN, PALAI AN EN SAKKWi KAI SPODWi METENOHSAN.  22 PLHN LEGW hUMIN, TURWi KAI SIDWNI ANEKTOTERON ESTAI EN hHMERAi KRISEWS H hUMIN.

The section following PLHN here does not negate the previous but rather assumes it and builds upon it to show that the guilt of Chorazin and Bethsaida were greater than the notorious Tyre and Sidon (See Is 23).
 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.