[B-Greek] Matthew 26:64 συ ειπας

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 04:09:24 EDT 2009

>> So, in Matt 26:64 Jesus’ answer to the high priest must be understood as a
>> negative followed by a clarification of his identity in transcendent terms
>> (cf. the same tactic in John 18:36).
>>

>> James Ernest
>
>In Matt 27:11 the phrase is different and the context is different.
>
>It is an exegetical mistake to transfer the meaning in Matt 27:11 to the
>intended meaning in Matt 26:64. The immediate context takes priority over a more
>distant context. John 18:38 is relevant for Mat 27:11, not 26:64. I hope the
>author has time to revise his commentary before publication :-(
>
>Iver Larsen

This can also be compared to the Lukan parallel where the 'you say' comes
at the end of a midrashic repartee, Dan 7 to Ps 110 (authority transfer context)
to Ps2 (gzera shava y.l.d.t.y.k.), in which the initial question did not have
'son of God' but the audience was lead to mention son of God themselves,
and then the statement 'you say', which catches the questioners in their own
words, was clearly taken to be a positive because the high priest says that
he heard the answer 'from his mouth' (which in fact referred to their mouth).
It's one of the wittiest exchanges in literature.

ERRWSQE
IWANHS
--
Randall Buth, PhD