[B-Greek] Matthew 26:64 συ ειπας

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 22 21:49:26 EDT 2009

64λέγει αὐτῷ ὁ Ἰησοῦς·σὺ εἶπας.πλὴν λέγω ὑμῖν·ἀπʼ ἄρτι ὄψεσθε τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ ἀνθρώπουκαθήμενον ἐκ δεξιῶν τῆς δυνάμεως καὶ ἐρχόμενον ἐπὶ τῶν νεφελῶν τοῦ οὐρανοῦ.
64 LEGEI AUTWi hO IHSOUS, "SU EIPAS.  PLHN LEGW hUMIN, 'AP' ARTI OYESQE TON hUION TOU ANQRWPOU KAQHMENON EK DECIOWN THS DUNAMEWS KAI ERXOMENON EPI TWN NEFELWN.

Generally Jesus' statement here is understood in the sense of "You said it, Bubba."  Note W. F. Albright's comment in the Yale Anchor Bible commentary on Matthew.

64. The words are yours. This answer appears evasive in English; however, cf. 26:25and Notethere. (Mark records unambiguously, “I am!”) If the Sanhedrin was to carry a capital charge to Pilate, it had to be such as to leave no doubt in the mind of the governor. John’s gospel is clear that it was a charge of making himself a king which constituted the principal accusation, though the point is made far more directly than in the synoptic gospels. There were, in any case, so many theological interpretations of Messiahship, that Jesus’ reply does not commit him to one view or another. Cf. for Jesus’ answer the reply of Bar Kappara to questions as to whether Rabbi Judah the Patriarch (late second century a.d.and editor of the Mishnah) was dead or not. Bar Kappara, aware that it had been proclaimed that anyone who announced Rabbi Judah’s death was to be killed, discovered that the patriarch was dead. He said to the crowd, “Angels and mortals took
 hold of the holy ark. The angels overpowered the mortals and the holy ark has been captured.” To a direct question as to whether that meant that Rabbi Judah was dead, Bar Kappara replied, “You said it; I did not say it.”

Albright, W. F., & Mann, C. S. (2008). Matthew: Introduction, translation, and notes (332). New Haven; London: Yale University Press.

 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.