[B-Greek] Implied Definite Article

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Tue Oct 20 12:10:56 EDT 2009

On Oct 20, 2009, at 11:51 AM, David McCarley wrote:

> Both the King James Version and the Young's Literal Translation
> include the
> definite article, the, in the phrase, "In the beginning," in John
> 1:1 and
> both do so without including "the" in brackets to indicate the
> article was
> added.
>
> Why is it not apprpopriate in the above instance to show the article
> as
> having been added when it is not specificially included in the
> original, yet
> other implied words seem to be in brackets?

You're asking a question about English rather than about the Greek
text, which is what we're really focused on B-Greek discussion. The
fact is that translators operate upon a considerable variety of
"philosophies" of what is proper, some trying to be "woodenly literal"
even if their version is not ordinarily acceptable usage in the target
language, while translators more generally want to reproduce the sense
of the original in the idiomatic usage of the target language. If you
are really interested in translation issues rather than in Biblical
Greek, you should take your questions to the Bible-Translation list,
accessible at https://lists.kastanet.org/Lists/Bible-Translation/List.html