[B-Greek] Genre & Grounding

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Tue Oct 20 06:17:00 EDT 2009

On Oct 19, 2009, at 10:27 PM, Richard Ghilardi wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
>> JOHN 19:12 EK TOUTOU hO PILATOS EZHTEI APOLUSAI AUTON· hOI DE
>> IOUDAIOI
>> EKRAUGASAN LEGONTES· EAN TOUTON APOLUSHiS, OUK EI FILOS TOU
>> KAISAROS·
>> PAS hO BASILEA hEAUTON POIWN ANTILEGEI TWi KAISARI > .
>
> I would agree with the consensus of the list that EK TOYTOY here is
> causal. But the MG renderings are divided between causal and temporal:
>
> 1) Causal - BELLAS - (quoted by Mark Lightman previously) DI' AYTON
> TON
> LOGON EZHTOYSE hO PILATOS NA TON APOLYSHi - Because of this remark
> Pilate
> sought to release him
>
> 2) Temporal - BAMBAS - EKTOTE EZHTEI hO PILATOS NA APOLYSHi AYTON -
> Thence Pilate sought to release him
>
> 3) Temporal - IWANNIDHS - APO TH STIGMH POY TA AKOYSE AYTA O PILATOS,
> ANAZHTOYSE TROPO NA TON AFHSEI ELEYQERO - The moment Pilate heard
> this,
> he looked for some way to set him free
>
> It is significant, I think, that BAMBAS, whose version precedes that
> of
> BELLAS, and IWANNIDHS, whose work follows BELLAS, agree on the
> temporal
> meaning. It seems that the temporal meaning has gained renewed
> acceptence
> among many modern Greeks.

Well, what this indicates, I think, is that there isn't really any
clear indication in the text itself that EK TOUTOU must be causal.
Moreover, although a majority opinion has some weight, we don't
determine what is true or valid by a show of hands. Finally, I think
that the database examined for instances of EK TOUTOU in Hellenistic
Greek or in ancient Greek generally has been much too small to allow
any firm conclusions. It's a judgment call: "Ya pays yer money and ya
takes yer choice."