[B-Greek] How to convert 1960?s schoolboy Attic into usable Koin?

Stanley Loper stanleyloper at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 17:11:33 EDT 2009

I concur with the advise given.

I would say go with what you learned earlier.  It is easier to refresh what
you knew and get back into the swing of things.  Then go onto the ways in
which Koine differs from Attic and learn to comprehend it.  I would also
caution you not to lay too much emphasis on the subtle differences in words
which makes Attic the language of philosophers.  Koine was not that type of
medium for communication.  I've seen some questions around the net as to
just how important the distinctions really were important to those who spoke
Koine in their everyday dealings.  Truth be told, I would question how
important those distinctions really were for the everyday speakers outside
the educated elite in Athenian society as well.  The Bible was *not* written
primarily for the highly educated.

My grounding in Greek was through a work which exposed the student to just
about every dialect documented from ancient Greece, including Spartan.  The
translation exercises drew from that diverse a database.  It did lay a bit
more emmphasis on Attic and Koine for obvious reasons, but it was premised
on a study of ancient Greek instead of classical or biblical.  I enjoyed the
approach thorougly.  Still, go back over familiar ground first.  You will
find you haven't lost so much as you think.  You've just gotten a lot out of
practice!

I like your approach to retirement as well.