[B-Greek] Genre & Grounding

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 17 12:24:13 EDT 2009

a few comments interspersed

On Oct 16, 2009, at 4:41 PM, Carl Conrad wrote:

> On Oct 16, 2009, at 5:28 PM, Elizabeth Kline wrote:
>

>> John 19:12 ἐκ τούτου ὁ Πιλᾶτος ἐζήτει
>> ἀπολῦσαι αὐτόν· οἱ δὲ Ἰουδαῖοι
>> ἐκραύγασαν λέγοντες· ἐὰν τοῦτον
>> ἀπολύσῃς, οὐκ εἶ φίλος τοῦ
>> Καίσαρος· πᾶς ὁ βασιλέα ἑαυτὸν
>> ποιῶν ἀντιλέγει τῷ Καίσαρι.
>> .
>> JOHN 19:12 EK TOUTOU hO PILATOS EZHTEI APOLUSAI AUTON· hOI DE
>> IOUDAIOI
>> EKRAUGASAN LEGONTES· EAN TOUTON APOLUSHiS, OUK EI FILOS TOU
>> KAISAROS·
>> PAS hO BASILEA hEAUTON POIWN ANTILEGEI TWi KAISARI
>> .
>> John 20:20 καὶ τοῦτο εἰπὼν ἔδειξεν τὰς
>> χεῖρας καὶ τὴν πλευρὰν αὐτοῖς.
>> ἐχάρησαν οὖν οἱ μαθηταὶ ἰδόντες
>> τὸν κύριον.
>> .
>> JOHN 20:20 KAI TOUTO EIPWN EDEIXEN TAS CEIRAS KAI THN PLEURAN AUTOIS.
>> ECARHSAN OUN hOI MAQHTAI IDONTES TON KURION.
>> .
>>
>> How should we read  EK TOUTOU in EK TOUTOU hO PILATOS EZHTEI APOLUSAI
>> AUTON? Is EK TOUTOU temporal or causal? Why?
>> .
>> Same question for IDONTES in hOI MAQHTAI IDONTES TON KURION,
>> temporal
>> or causal? Why?
>
> Barring some clear indication in the context that it must be
> "causal" I would prefer to understand each instance as fundamentally
> "sequential":
> John 19:12 "Thereupon PIlate sought to release him ... "
> John 20:20 "With these words he displayed his hands and ... "
>
> I rather think that we sometimes try to draw these distinctions too
> sharply when such phraseology serves primarily as a narrative
> connector with what preceded; it's pretty much the sort of connector
> we see in Greek narrative ever since Homer:

Thank you Carl,

I agree that it appears to be causal. I also agree that making a sharp
distinction is perhaps counter productive. The problem does not arise
until you try and translate the text. I you read the text in Greek
there is no problem to solve. The genre being narrative, we might
expect connective constituents to be temporal, however a sequence of
events may be causally related. The genre alone does not determine how
were understand the connective constituents.

> Iliad 1.33 Ὣς ἔφατ’, ἔδεισεν δ’ ὃ γέρων
> καὶ ἐπείθετο μύθῳ· [hWS EFAT', EDEISEN D' hO GERWN
> KAI EPEIQETO MUQWi]
> Iliad 1.43 Ὣς ἔφατ’ εὐχόμενος, τοῦ δ’
> ἔκλυε Φοῖβος Ἀπόλλων [hWS EFAT' EUCOMENOS, TOU
> D' EKLUE FOIBOS APOLLWN]
>
> Carl W. Conrad

Elizabeth Kline