[B-Greek] Dorcas--a widow?

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 17 11:06:13 EDT 2009

The determination that Dorcas was a widow is not simply derived from grammatical or syntactical relationships and therefore is a conclusion drawn from a few relationships indicated.  As such it is most strictly beyond the limits of b-greek.  Since, however, it is not much of a theological matter, I will note a couple of things.

1. It was the widows who were gathered together around her.
2. They were displaying items which she had made WITH THEM.
3. It would appear that the widows were a special concern of the early church and formed a class within the church.
4. It would appear that this group known as widows had a function within the church which involved the production of items of clothing thus "earning their keep."

I would therefore state that the conclusion intended to be drawn was that Dorcas was indeed a widow or known as such (though this class might conceivably have included non-attached aging women).
 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.