[B-Greek] RE The Article / was Zechariah 8:3 (LXX)

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 14 18:34:13 EDT 2009

On Oct 14, 2009, at 2:58 PM, Louis Sorenson wrote:

> Personally, I see the "article dilemna" as hopelessly unsolvable.
> Which does not mean we should not try to still figure it out. Perhaps
> "author" usage should take precedence here.

Louis,

I don't think it is unsolvable. The first step is forget about English
and don't read grammars that spent all their time showing you
illustrations on english. Carl's words are ringing in my ears
"motivated by translation strategies", avoid these books.

It is a big project, but not impossible. Probably on the same scale as
learning the greek participle. It will take you a few years.

Note the double irony   "like an ESL student looking to Gertrude Stein
for an understanding of the English syntax" where I misused the
English article. This a redactional error, "English language" was
changed to "English syntax" without any adjustment of the noun phrase.
I can't even tell you why "the English syntax" is wrong but I know it
is.

Elizabeth Kline