[B-Greek] Can Brotos Refer to Animal Mortality (Ez Trag

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Wed Oct 14 08:34:57 EDT 2009

On Oct 14, 2009, at 8:21 AM, Brian Abasciano wrote:

> Do you happen to know if it is ever used to refer to aimal life or
> animal
> life is included in the meaning?

I think this is the question being asked when we arrived. Since all
that the lexica report to us is that it is used of human beings, I
would think that the burden of proof that it's ever used of non-human
creatures rests upon you. One observation that may be useful or not is
that BROTOS is pretty clearly a poetic word corresponding to the prose
equivalent QNHTOS and used in poetry particularly to contrast death-
doomed humanity with immortal gods. I've always thought that the
adjective BROTOS is a wistful sort of word reflecting the distinctly
human sense of mortality. Non-human creatures seem to have an instinct
to survival, but they haven't informed us that they share our human
anxiety about death.