[B-Greek] Zechariah 8:3 (LXX)

Leonard Jayawardena leonardj at live.com
Wed Oct 14 01:43:03 EDT 2009

 <51F3E10E-F88E-4BF5-9FAE-F6D66719362E at mac.com>

Carl W. Conrad wrote:
=20
> I think what we have here in the Greek LXX text is simply a literal
> translation of the Hebrew construct-noun IR-hA-EMETH=2C in which case
> the Greek definite article isn't functioning as it ordinarily does in
> Greek usage.

=20
LJ: While your explanation is probably the correct one=2C it is difficult t=
o see how the translator of Zechariah could have rendered this phrase in su=
ch non-standard Greek. It cannot be that his knowledge of Greek was defecti=
ve because there are many absolute nouns in Zechariah and this is the first=
 instance of it I have come across. Was his mind distracted that he transla=
ted the parts of the absolute noun mechanically? If so=2C it must have been=
 a very momentary distraction because only three words later he translated =
har hakkodesh (literally=2C 'mountain of the holiness') as OROS hAGION=2C n=
ot OROS TO hAGION. How does one explain this inconsistency?
=20
=20
Leonard Jayawardena
=20

> Subject: Re: [B-Greek] Zechariah 8:3 (LXX)
> From: cwconrad2 at mac.com
> Date: Tue=2C 13 Oct 2009 05:51:25 -0400
> CC: b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org
> To: leonardj at live.com
>

> On Oct 13=2C 2009=2C at 2:27 AM=2C Leonard Jayawardena wrote:
>

>> KLHQHSETAI hH IEROUSALHM POLIS hH ALHQINH KAI TO OROS KURIOU
>> PANTOKRATOROS OROS hAGION.
>>
>> POLIS hH ALHQINH is translated "a true city" in Brenton's
>> translation and "a city that is true" in the NETS translation.
>>
>> What purpose does the definite article serve before ALHQINH? Why
>> isn't in the form POLIS ALHQINH in parallel with OROS hAGION?
>> Alternatively=2C why not OROS TO hAGION in parallel with POLIS hH
>> ALHQINH?
>>
>> POLIS hH ALHQINH is literally "a city=2C the true one"?
>
> I think what we have here in the Greek LXX text is simply a literal
> translation of the Hebrew construct-noun IR-hA-EMETH=2C in which case
> the Greek definite article isn't functioning as it ordinarily does in
> Greek usage.
>

> Carl W. Conrad
> Department of Classics=2C Washington University (Retired)
>

> 		 	   		  =0A=
Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you=92re up to on=
 Facebook.=0A=
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-action/so=
cial-network-basics.aspx?ocid=3DPID23461::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-xm:SI_SB_2:092=
009=