[B-Greek] Rom 10:3

Iver Larsen iver_larsen at sil.org
Tue Oct 13 13:31:42 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Wilking" <jcwilking at yahoo.com>
To: "Carl Conrad" <cwconrad2 at mac.com>
Cc: <b-greek at lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: 12. oktober 2009 22:41
Subject: Re: [B-Greek] Rom 10:3

> Carl,
>
> I just noticed the first textual variant for STHSHTE in Mk 7:9 is THRHSHTE.
> Are you aware of any evidence that would indicate whether this is somewhat
> synonymous with hISTHMI or possibly just a different idea?
>
> John

I would not call them synonyms, but certainly semantically related. With STHSHTE
the focus is that they establish or set up their tradition (hH PARADOSIS hUMWN)
in contrast to God's commandment (ENTOLH TOU QEOU). With THRHSHTE the focus is
on what they keep most: God's command or their tradition. THRHSHTE makes most
sense in context. It is not that they reject the commandment of God, but they
keep their tradition above the commandment.

When I suggested "fulfill" for hISTHMI as one of the options it was primarily in
the context of a promise or a prophecy. The Torah contained laws, prophecies and
promises. In Mat 5:17 Jesus came to PLHRWSAI (bring to fulfillment) not
KATALUSAI (destroy) both the Torah and the Prophets.

Iver Larsen