[B-Greek] Zechariah 8:3 (LXX)

Albert Pietersma albert.pietersma at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 13 10:13:30 EDT 2009

The presence or absence of articles in most the LXX is certainly one
of its biggest problems. Carl is quite right in suggesting that in
Zech 8:3 (and often in the LXX) one cannot rely on the translated text
to reflect standard usage. While it can be safely stated that articles
in the Hebrew text are typically represented in the Greek, it can not
be inferred that articles in the Greek have explicit warrant in the
Hebrew parent text. Ergo: usage in the LXX is not bona fide Greek
usage until proven to be such.
Al