[B-Greek] ENEKEN TOU + inf 2Cor 7:12

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 12 13:44:35 EDT 2009

John 9:2 καὶ ἠρώτησαν αὐτὸν οἱ μαθηταὶ
αὐτοῦ λέγοντες· ῥαββί, τίς ἥμαρτεν,
οὗτος ἢ οἱ γονεῖς αὐτοῦ, ἵνα τυφλὸς
γεννηθῇ;  3 ἀπεκρίθη Ἰησοῦς· οὔτε
οὗτος ἥμαρτεν οὔτε οἱ γονεῖς αὐτοῦ,
ἀλλ᾿ ἵνα φανερωθῇ τὰ ἔργα τοῦ θεοῦ
ἐν αὐτῷ.

JOHN 9:2 KAI HRWTHSAN AUTON hOI MAQHTAI AUTOU LEGONTES· hRABBI, TIS
hHMARTEN, hOUTOS H hOI GONEIS AUTOU, hINA TUFLOS GENNHQHi; 3 APEKRIQH
IHSOUS· OUTE hOUTOS hHMARTEN OUTE hOI GONEIS AUTOU, ALL᾿ hINA
FANERWQHi TA ERGA TOU QEOU EN AUTWi.
On Oct 12, 2009, at 9:46 AM, Daniel, Robert S wrote:

> isn't John using bad grammar...

John is reporting a verbal exchange between Jesus and  hOI MAQHTAI.
Real world dialogue is economical, anything that can be inferred from
the total "context" is a candidate for ellipsis.  What we call syntax
is a collection of generalizations about patterns observed in the
language. If you just drop the idea of syntax as a set of rules to be
followed and read greek observing how the language is used, you will
discover all kinds of interesting things.

I would agree that ALL᾿ hINA FANERWQHi doesn't sound right in
interlinear English but that is just another example of what you
should avoid thinking about this in English.

Elizabeth Kline