[B-Greek] Synonym study

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 10:42:00 EDT 2009

Iver egrapse
> As I studied the occurrences in the GNT where MIMNHSKOMAI occurs 23 times (0 in
LXX) and MNHMONEUW occurs 21 times (26 in the LXX), I suggest that there is a
slight difference. Whether that holds up to closer scrutiny, I don't know, but
it is worth looking into.>

>MNHMONEUW is basically, I think, "keep in mind" or "retain in memory" (you'll
find these glosses in BAGD). The idea is that you should not forget what you
already know. (I remember the good old days.)>

>MIMNHSKOMAI is basically "come to mind, realize". The Middle/Passive forms
correspond somewhat to English "it occurred to me". Some event or thought made
me realize something. If an imperative is used it is "put to mind, think about
it." (When I had closed the car door, I remembered that I had left the keys
inside.)>

When looking at words with different lemma in a dictionary one must be
careful to
see how they pattern in usage of the language. There are many verbs
that function
as 'suppletives' or "near suppletives". For example, most NT students
link BLEPEIN
to IDEIN 'see', though in older Greek it is more common to link ORAN
to IDEIN. Both
linkages are 'suppletives', pieces of older words that recombine to
form newer verbs.
MNHMONEYEIN and MNHSQHNAI are two such words that are near suppletives in
Koine.

The question is important because once a linkage is established in the minds of
speakers and common use, the semantics of the two verbs tend to run together.
Lexica do not always pay attention to this and they may not be sensitive to the
semantics of words in tension with the other possible choices in the
language in
any one context.

Your statistics on the verbs above could mention that MNHSQHNAI is
21/23 (aorist
and PARAKEIMENH),
while MNHMONEYEIN is 19/21 (present/PARATATIKH).

I will try pasting one of the patterns that we give students for this
verb. It will
lose its formatting and become a mess, but at least I will have tried.
Carl will
forgive me for not transliterating the whole. This is an 'either/or',
either you
see it and perhaps can figure out what the formatting was attempting to do,
or you can't see it and may just as well drop this note.

ἀπαρέμφατος            μνησθῆναι τινος        to remember
μνημονεύειν τινα (*μεμνῆσθαι τινός)  to be remembering
προστακτική             	μνήσθητι/μνήσθητε
μνημόνευε (μέμνησο) / μνημονεύετε (μέμνησθε)

*μεμνῆσθαι + γν is more literary and is a  παρακείμενος for a present
state, somewhat like  εἰδέναι.
μεμνῆσθαι, is listed as a second option for the present below under ἐνεστώς.

                      ἀόριστος μετοχή

                      μνησθείς    -εῖσα    -έν

                      μνησθέντες –εῖσαι -έντα
ἐνεστώς                           παρατατικός      	ἀόριστος
	μέλλων             	(ἵνα) ὑποτακτική
παρατατικὴ μετοχή
μνημονεύω/μέμνημαι          ἐμνημόνευον      	ἐμνήσθην
	μνησθήσομαι      μνησθῶ/μνημονεύω
μνημονεύεις/μέμνησαι        ἐμνημόνευες        ἐμνήσθης
μνησθήσῃ          μνησθῇς/μνημονεύῃς
μνημονεύει/μέμνηται           ἐμνημόνευεν        ἐμνήσθη
μνησθήσεται     	μνησθῇ/μνημονεύῃ                          μνημονεύων
-ουσα -ον
μνημονεύομεν/μεμνήμεθα    ἐμνημονεύομεν    ἐμνήσθημεν
μνησθησόμεθα    μνησθῶμεν/μνημονεύωμεν
μνημονεύετε/μέμνησθε        ἐμνημονεύετε      ἐμνήσθητε
	μνησθήσεσθε     μνησθῆτε/μνημονεύητε
μνημονεύουσιν/μέμνηνται     ἐμνημόνευον       ἐμνήσθησαν
	μνησθήσονται     μνησθῶσιν/μνημονεύωσιν                 μνημονεύοντες
-ουσαι -οντα

παρακείμενος·    (often used as present in more literary styles. See
ἐνεστώς column above)

κ Λουκᾶν κδ΄ 6 	μνήσθητε ὡς ἐλάλησεν ὑμῖν ἔτι ὢν ἐν τῇ Γαλιλαίᾳ.
				Remember how he spoke to you while still being in Galilee.

While on the subject of suppletives, one can mix some interesting
things together. For example,
GENESQAI might be thought of as the aorist of EINAI, which technically
doesn't have an aorist,
thought both of these verbs have a PARATATIKH/ENESTWS.

ERRWSO
(oh yes, let's see, that is PARAKEIMENH 'perfect'
and doesn't get used in ENESTWS/PARATATIKH much. Hmm ?!)
IWANHS
(well, that's not a verb, so I guess we close this post on a stable
note, except for maybe the
early Christian era spelling.)

--
Randall Buth, PhD