[B-Greek] Synonym study

Randall Buth randallbuth at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 02:47:11 EDT 2009

With verbs like MNHMONEYEIN and MIMNHSKESQAI
you are not dealing with meaning differences
as much as register differences, that is
difference between more common language and more formal
language.
MNHMONEYEIN took over the common, plain usages when present
and PARATATIKH references were desired.

MIMNHSKESQAI became restricted in use in the present and PARATATIKH
so that its appearance becomes a little bit 'stilted', a higher, more
formal register.
There are only two exx in NT: Heb 2:6 and 13:3.

Josephus only has one example, if my software is correct,
versus 24xx of MNHMONEYEIN. in the present/PARATATIKH system.

So use MNHMONEYW as your base word for 'remember' in the present,
then for more formal usage you can use MEMNHMAI ('perfect') for a
more solid "I remember" (this usage is similar to OIDA 'I know'),
and MIMNHSKOMAI for an open-ended 'I am remembering'.

The reverse is true for the aoristic system:
MNHSQHNAI is 'to remember'
and MNHMONEYSAI is relatively rare and either more formal or more active.

ERRWSO
IWANHS

--
Randall Buth, PhD