[B-Greek] Hebrews 9:28

Leonard Jayawardena leonardj at live.com
Sun Oct 11 07:10:47 EDT 2009

 <7491BDC6-E342-4FE5-B60E-ED7C0580F058 at mac.com>

Carl W. Conrad wrote:
=20

> It seems to me that you want to understand CWRIS hAMARTIAS not as
> adverbial -- describing HOW Chrisat will appear -- but as if it were a
> predicate adjective such as ANAMARTHTOS -- WHAT he will appear TO BE.
> Moreover=2C if the phrase WERE to be understood in that sense of
> ANAMARTHTOS=2C what would be the point of EK DEUTEROU? Perhaps: "He
> will appear a second time=2C this time as sinless" But in that case=2C ho=
> did he appear to them previously?

LJ: You are right in saying that I want to understand CWRIS hAMARTIAS as a =
predicate adjective=2C rather than as an adverbial=2C with hORAW an equativ=
e verb (e.g.=2C in "He appeared sick" "appear" is an equative verb). Howeve=
r=2C my question was whether CWRIS hAMARTIAS could be understood as meaning=
 "without sin (on the part of those who are waiting for him)=2C" not "witho=
ut sin (on the part of Christ)=2C" as you seem to have understood it. Is th=
at grammatically possible?
=20

> Secondly=2C if you want to understand CWRIS hAMARTIAS as construing with
> TOIS AUTON APEKDECOMENOIS EIS SWTHRIAN=2C it seems to me that the phrase
> CWRIS hAMARTIAS is pretty far removed from that dative participial
> phrase=3B it really has to be understood=2C I think=2C with OFQHSETAI.

LJ:  That is the way it is construed in the Darby Translation. I=2C too=2C
now think that the relative positions of OFQHSETAI and CWRIS hAMARTIAS in t=
he sentence do not make it a syntactically possible translation.
=20

> Again=2C with reference to the phrases cited in Romans 3:28 and 4:6=2C it
> srikes me that it would be as reasonable to understand CWRIS in those
> instances too as meaning "without reference to." CWRIS really means
> "separately from" or "apart from=2C" rather than "free from" I think
> that a careful study of the full entry for CWRIS in BDAG would be in
> orer here.

LJ: In my next post I will show=2C with an analysis of the way this word is=
 used in the NT (37 times)=2C why "without reference to" is not the best tr=
anslation of CWRIS in either Hebrews 9:28 or the two passages I cited from =
Romans.

Leonard Jayawardena 		 	   		  =0A=