[B-Greek] Reader's Lexicons

Carlton Winbery winberycl at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 10 13:02:24 EDT 2009

>On Oct 10, 2009, at 8:30 AM, Aaron Marshall wrote:
>

>>  I haven't been on this list long, so this may have been discussed at
>>  some point.  In the recent discussion of interlinears one of the
>>  arguments in their favor was that it aided rapid reading for those
>>  new to Greek, allowing them to avoid the tedium of looking up every
>>  other word in their lexicon.  While I would certainly not use one
>>  for in-depth exegesis of a particular passage, I have always found a
>>  reader's lexicon to be helpful if I just wanted to sit down and
>>  practice rapid reading, which I much prefer to the parsing and
>>  translation I had to do when I took Greek in college.  Could
>>  something like Sakae Kubo's Reader's Lexicon be an acceptable
>>  compromise between using an interlinear and reading the Greek text
>>  with only BAGD or LSJ in hand? By the end of second year Greek one
>>  has the base vocabulary to use one effectively.  What say the Greek
>>  masters among us?
>
>I think you've raised a question that will draw a variety of different
>black-and-white issue. Here are some of my thoughts.
>(1) Unless you have a big desk or work surface, I hardly think it's
>possible to read with either or both BDAG and LSJ "in hand." If you
>can afford it -- and I think the investment is well worth while --
>what's really convenient is to have the Greek text, BDAG, and LSJ all
>open in an electronic version with the ease of clicking on a word in
>the Greek text and going at once to the appropriate lemma in either or
>both lexica. This way you can skim basic definitions and glosses
>quickly and return to the Greek text; I would keep a note pad and mark
>down each word you've had to look up, and if I found myself looking up
>the same word two or more times, I'd take the time to peruse the
>lexicon entry for that lemma more thoroughly and familiarize yourself
>with the spectrum of usages listed for it.
>(2) If you can't afford the above, then you might work with the Kubo
>or with one of the abridged manual lexicons like the "middle Liddell"
>or perhaps the new abridged Danker volume (which I haven't seen yet,
>but would expect to be worth the price). I'd still recommend the
>practice of noting down each word that you look up and studying in
>more detail words that you find you've looked up two or more times.
>(3) I'm not really familiar with the Sakae Kubo book, but some other
>certainly will be.
>
>Carl W. Conrad

I was teaching Greek to second year students at New Orleans Seminary
when Kubo's Readers lexicon first came out. I had not seen the
notices of it when a student in my class came up to me in the Quad
and with enthusiasm asked, "Have you got Kubo?" To which I replied,
"No, I slept on the wrong side last night and have a crick in my hip!"

Carlton

--
Carlton L. Winbery
Retired Professor of Religion