[B-Greek] Reader's Lexicons

Aaron Marshall greekmeister1 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 10 08:30:00 EDT 2009

I haven't been on this list long, so this may have been discussed at some point.  In the recent discussion of interlinears one of the arguments in their favor was that it aided rapid reading for those new to Greek, allowing them to avoid the tedium of looking up every other word in their lexicon.  While I would certainly not use one for in-depth exegesis of a particular passage, I have always found a reader's lexicon to be helpful if I just wanted to sit down and practice rapid reading, which I much prefer to the parsing and translation I had to do when I took Greek in college.  Could something like Sakae Kubo's Reader's Lexicon be an acceptable compromise between using an interlinear and reading the Greek text with only BAGD or LSJ in hand? By the end of second year Greek one has the base vocabulary to use one effectively.  What say the Greek masters among us?

Aaron Marshall