[B-Greek] PNEUMA and PYR in Matthew 3:11

Bill Barton phos at windstream.net
Sat Oct 10 00:39:29 EDT 2009

Samuel Cripps wrote on Friday, Oct 09, 2009 1:23 PM:

>I have long been under the impression that the phrase EN HAGIOS PNEUMA KAI
>PYR ( "with the holy spirit and fire" ) is to be understood to mean that
>the spirit and fire are one and the same. I've lately come across a few
>articles online where the claim has been made that the text in question
>indicates that there are two different baptisms in view - one a baptism
>with spirit, the other with fire. Can someone help me out with this?>

My opinion:  the author qualifies "fire" (pur) in verse 3:11 as "asbestos
pur" (unquenchable pur) in verse 3:12:

"He will gather his wheat into his barn, but he will burn up the chaff with
unquenchable fire (asbestos pur)."

Cultural note:  In this kind of threshing operation the wheat kernels are
separated from the chaff by tossing the harvested wheat into the air with a
pitch-fork-like tool (winnowing fork).  The wheat kernels fall back down but
the chaff is blown away off the floor.  Finally the wheat kernels that have
fallen on the floor can be gathered up into the barn.  The chaff, which has
blown off the floor, is also gathered up and burned to get rid of it.

Article on how to thresh your own wheat using a blanket:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2149113_thresh-winnow-harvested-wheat-hand.html

Bill Barton
Layman