[B-Greek] PNEUMA and PYR in Matthew 3:11

Samuel Cripps crippssamuel at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 9 13:23:11 EDT 2009

B-Greekers,

I have long been under the impression that the phrase EN HAGIOS PNEUMA KAI PYR ( "with the holy spirit and fire" ) is to be understood to mean that the spirit and fire are one and the same.  I've lately come across a few articles online where the claim has been made that the text in question indicates that there are two different baptisms in view - one a baptism with spirit, the other with fire.  Can someone help me out wiht this?

Sincerely,

Sam Cripps (layman)