[B-Greek] Hebrews 9:28

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 9 10:24:02 EDT 2009

οὕτως καὶ ὁ Χριστὸς ἅπαξ προσενεχθεὶς εἰς τὸ πολλῶν ἀνενεγκεῖν ἁμαρτίας ἐκ δευτέρου χωρὶς ἁμαρτίας ὀφθήσεται τοῖς αὐτὸν ἀπεκδεχομένοις εἰς σωτηρίαν.
See below for transliteration.

Note that there are two finite verbs here:  προσενεχθεὶς [PROSENEXQEIS] and ὀφθήσεται [OFQHSETAI].  You will no doubt say "προσενεχθεὶς [PROSENEXQEIS] is not a finite verb", and you would be technically correct, but this is a semitic idiom.  Note Moulton, Howard and Turner:  _A Grammar of New Testament Greek_ iv.155 "7. An infinitive or a participle becomes a finite verb in the subsequent clause: ... it was a common practice with Hebrew writers to continue a participial construction by means of finite verbs."  It thus has the force of a second (or first, if you will) finite verb.  These are used in a similar manner to one another -- 'He was brought forward' [i.e. "offered up"an expression of sacrifice] and then 'He shall be seen'.  He was offered up "once" and he shall be seen "a second time."  Those who await him are expressed by a dative phrase (ἀπεκδεχομένοις εἰς
 σωτηρίαν [APEKDEXOMENOIS EIS SWTHRIAN]) following the verb ὀφθήσεται [OFQHSETAI] while χωρὶς ἁμαρτίας [XWRIS hAMARIAS] immediately PRECEDES the verb.  Thus, the nearer referent is ὀφθήσεται [OFQHSETAI] which is therefore the natural referent of the adv χωρὶς ἁμαρτίας [XWRIS hAMARIAS].  He is thus said to be seen "without reference to sins."

I would also disagree with your understanding of Rom 3.28 and 4.6.  A man is justified "without reference to the works of the Law", and God declares a man righteous "without reference to works."

george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.