[B-Greek] Some Questions on John 5

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Fri Oct 9 07:36:28 EDT 2009

On Oct 8, 2009, at 9:49 PM, George F Somsel wrote:

> Sorry, Carl, but I wouldn't exactly say that EXWN is "to be in a
> condition" here.  Anyone familiar with Spanish will be acquainted
> with the expression "tiene X años" viewing the number of years which
> one has lived as a possession (though meaning in English "he is X
> years old").  EN, on the other hand does signify being in a
> condition -- here that of being sick.

Well, apparently there is some evidence for usage of ECW with ETH in
the sense of the Romance Language idiom (Josephus Ant. 1, 198, John
8:57), although it doesn't seem to be a standard way of expressing how
old a person is; that seems to be EIMI with a numeral and genitive
ETWN or GEGONWS + numeral and acc.). BDAG s.v. ETOS: "differently w.
the addition ἐν τ. ἀσθενείᾳ αὐτοῦ [EN THi
ASQENEIAi AUTOU] be ill for x years 5:5 (cp. TestJob 26:1 ἐν
ταῖς πληγαῖς[EN TAIS PLHGAIS]..) "

Seems to me that τριάκοντα [καὶ] ὀκτὼ ἔτη
ἔχων ἐν τῇ ἀσθενείᾳ αὐτοῦ [TRIAKONTA KAI
OKTW ETH ECWN EN THi ASQENEIAi AUTOU] would, on your reading of this
as a Spanish dialectal usage of Biblical Greek, mean something like
"be thirty-eight years old in his infirmity" rather than "be crippled
for thirty-eight years."