[B-Greek] DILOGOS in 2 Tim 3:8

Tony Pope borikayaama_tekiri at sil.org
Wed Oct 7 15:40:05 EDT 2009

Thanks, Dr Conrad, for mentioning this item. I made a comment on the blog, and here are some further
thoughts.

It would be interesting to know if there are any other attestations of DILOGOS / DILOGEW / DILOGIA
on the TLG, other than in citations of 1 Tim 3:8. The two explanations of DILOGOS in patristic
authors that I mentioned in my comment are from Chrysostom and Theodoret. They are available on-line
at the free access TLG site, but interestingly I first found out about them through an old Greek
lexicon that people don't nowadays consult, namely Parkhurst (1809), available at archive.org.

Chrysostom: Σεμνοὺς, μὴ διλόγους· τουτέστι, μὴ ὑπούλους, μηδὲ δολερούς.
Οὐδὲν γὰρ οὕτω ποιεῖν εἴωθεν ἀγεννεῖς, ὡς τὸ δολερόν· οὐδὲν οὕτως ἄχρηστον ἐν τῇ Ἐκκλησίᾳ, ὡς τὸ
ὕπουλον.
SEMNOUS, MH DILOGOUS: TOUTESTI MH hUPOULOUS, MHDE DOLEROUS. OUDEN GAR hOUTW POIEIN EIWQEN AGENNEIS,
hWS TO DOLERON: OUDEN hOUTWS ACRHSTON EN THi EKKLHSIAi, hWS TO hUPOULON.

Theodoret: Μὴ ἕτερα μὲν τούτῳ, ἕτερα δὲ ἐκείνῳ λέγοντας· ἀλλ’ ἀληθείᾳ τὴν γλῶτταν κοσμοῦντας.
MH hETERA MEN TOUTWi, hETERA DE EKEINwI LEGONTAS: ALL' ALHQEIAi THN GLWTTAN KOSMOUNTAS.

(Incidentally, Robinson (1850) cites Theophylact ἄλλα φρονῶν καὶ ἄλλα λέγων, ALLA FRONWN KAI ALLA
LEGWN, which I have not been able to check.)

With regard to the recent exchange of views about the relative merits of modern and less modern
lexicons, both BAGD and Thayer imply by their silence that they have no attestations to cite for the
sense of DILOGOS they give. But neither of them tells us why they give the gloss that they do give.
They could tell us what the patristic commentators said, and also the translation of the Vulgate,
which seems to be relevant. Wouldn't such a discussion be better than line upon line of references
in other entries that, if J A L Lee is to be believed (A History of New Testament Lexicography), not
even the lexicographer himself can have checked in many instances?

Does BDAG do any better on this one? Does it also say "insincere", like BAGD? I don't have access at
the moment to Bauer's original German. It would be interesting to compare that too.

Tony Pope

--------------------
Bill Mounce has a blog entry this morning on DILOGOS in 2 Tim 3:8
which raises some interesting questions both about academic discussion
and about dilemmas confronted by translators: what do you do when you
don't really; know precisely what a word means? Do you set down your
best intelligent guess upon using all the tools available to you? Do
you ever admit that you don't really know what a word means in the
context in which we confront it? In this instance, two candidates for
DILOGOS are "double-tongued," "insincere," "lacking integrity,"
"hypocritical," or even "two-faced." You can access the blog at:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/typepad/pQHu/~3/83w5yiBZDk4/doubletongued-deacons-2-tim-38.html
= http://is.gd/3YMBG