[B-Greek] What resources should be in one's Greek library (was Con Campbell on Interlinears -- ADDENDUM

Mark Lightman lightmanmark at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 14:21:11 EDT 2009

Mike N. egrapse:

<Anyway, I have been having a very hard time finding print editions of
Greek texts other than the NT.  I saw the Loeb library stuff and I'm
not really happy with it.  The books are too small.  Where are some
good sources to get Greek texts?>

I very much sympathize.  I too have not yet got into electronic
texts.  My sense is that soon all the great public domain stuff
will  be available on electronic readers that are truly portable and
feel good to read.  I don't know if Kindle qualifies or not.  And maybe
you will never be able to compare with a book.  I read Greek on the
bus and while I walk and during staff meetings and in movie theaters
with a flash light while my kids are watching Shrek 3 and I wonder if
any device will ever be able to work so well in these contexts.

While we wait for the technology, for a printed book to be good
is has to (a) have a large, STRAIGHT, Greek font (2) be thin
(3) feel good in your hand, with some kind of soft flexible cover
which will lay open (4) be the right length and width. 8 by 5 is about
right.

I'm amazed that 500 years after Guttenburg we still have so few
good Greek texts.  The NT, due to the forces of the market, is, as
Mike N, says, ahead of the game.  One of the reasons I like Zondervan's
Reader's GNT so much is that except for the fact that the font is sloped, it
is a perfect Greek book.  The Triniterian Society's Textus Receptus in
lamb skin is also nearly perfect.  Baker House's Apostolic Fathers by
Holmes is nearly perfect. but is a little too thick and the font is a little
too small and slanted.  If published in two volumes it would be perfect, but
it is still much better than anything else available outside the GNT.

Mike, when you say the Loeb's are too small, I assume you mean that
the font is too small, and I agree.  If Loeb simply made their books 9 by
5 instead of 5 by 4, they could make the books thinner and the font bigger.
And you have to use the thin paper that makes Zondervan and Baker House
stuff lighter.

James S. wrote:
 <If you want only the Greek texts, you could
 try the Oxford Classical Texts>

Not really.  I've looked at these for Homer and the
font is no bigger than the Loeb's.  I've never been able
to find a printed Homer I am completely happy with.
Benner's font is good but his book is too thick.

So, I am considering trying to print my own personal
copy of Homer.  I would get a public domaine text,
choose mabye ten books to keep the volume nice and thin,
increase the font size, and get in printed with thin paper and
a nice fake leather cover.  My quesiton is, had anyone tried
this?  What would it cost?

Mark L

FWSFOROS MARKOS