[B-Greek] What resources should be in one's Greek library (wasCon Campbell on Interlinears -- ADDENDUM

Ian W Scott iscott at tyndale.ca
Wed Oct 7 13:58:33 EDT 2009

If you work largely at a computer, another option is paying for an
individual membership to the Thesaurus Linguae Graecae. Then one has
access to authoritative texts of (essentially) all Greek literature.
It's about $100 USD a year, but if one is going to spend that much on a
single book then the price is well worth it. And, of course, there are
helpful hyperlinks to the LSJ on the Perseus site as well as good
searching capabilities.

Ian

James Spinti wrote:

> Mike,
>
> If you want only the Greek texts, you could try the Oxford Classical Texts, affectionately called OCTs by those of us who have spent far too much money on them over the years:
> http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/series/OxfordClassicalTexts/?view=usa
> Tinyurl:
> http://tinyurl.com/ya2u3s6
>
> They are the definitive version of most texts, containing an apparatus criticus and a preface discussing the textual issues (usually in Latin, although the newer ones are now doing it in English).
>
> There are also the Teubner texts (expensive); I believe that de Gruyter is now publishing them. And I should mention the Bude texts (similar to the Loeb, but with French on the facing page). The Bude texts are larger font and easier on the eyes than the Loeb, if you read French :)
>
> Various individual texts have separate editions, usually with commentaries. For example, Oxford has a series of school texts with grammatical commentary aimed at the intermediate student (look for used copies!). On the more advanced level, if you can get your hands on some of the older commentaries by scholars like Jebb, consider them worth the time and money (although Carl may disagree with me...).
>
> HTH,
> James
> ________________________________
> James Spinti
> Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
> Eisenbrauns, Good books for more than 30 years
> Specializing in Ancient Near Eastern and Biblical Studies
> jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com
> Web: http://www.eisenbrauns.com
> Phone: 574-269-2011 ext 226

Ian W. Scott

Associate Professor of New Testament

Tyndale Seminary

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

iscott at tyndale.ca <mailto:iscott at tyndale.ca>

http://www.ian-w-scott.com

/Paul's Way of Knowing: Story, Experience and the Spirit /(WUNT II.206;
Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2008).
<http://www.tyndale.ca/%7Eiscott/blog/essays-and-articles/>