[B-Greek] What resources should be in one's Greek library (wasCon Campbell on Interlinears -- ADDENDUM

James Spinti JSpinti at Eisenbrauns.com
Wed Oct 7 13:17:15 EDT 2009

Mike,

If you want only the Greek texts, you could try the Oxford Classical Texts, affectionately called OCTs by those of us who have spent far too much money on them over the years:
http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/series/OxfordClassicalTexts/?view=usa
Tinyurl:
http://tinyurl.com/ya2u3s6

They are the definitive version of most texts, containing an apparatus criticus and a preface discussing the textual issues (usually in Latin, although the newer ones are now doing it in English).

There are also the Teubner texts (expensive); I believe that de Gruyter is now publishing them. And I should mention the Bude texts (similar to the Loeb, but with French on the facing page). The Bude texts are larger font and easier on the eyes than the Loeb, if you read French :)

Various individual texts have separate editions, usually with commentaries. For example, Oxford has a series of school texts with grammatical commentary aimed at the intermediate student (look for used copies!). On the more advanced level, if you can get your hands on some of the older commentaries by scholars like Jebb, consider them worth the time and money (although Carl may disagree with me...).

HTH,
James
James Spinti
Marketing Director, Book Sales Division