[B-Greek] Con Campbell on Interlinears

Richard Ghilardi qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
Wed Oct 7 12:36:12 EDT 2009

Hello Folks,

I own 3 interlinears. I never use them for extended reading or even for
one- or two-verse look-ups except as noted below. They are:

1) The Englishman's Greek New Testament, edited by Thomas Newberry. I
bought this many years ago for two reasons. One, the Greek text is the
1550 edition of Robert Etienne which is not readily available in print.
And two, in the footnotes it shows where this text differs from the
following editions: Elzevir, 1624; Griesbach, 1805; Lachmann, 1850;
Tischendorf, 1872; Tregelles, 1872; Alford, 1871; Wordsworth, 1870. With
the exception of Tischendorf, this is a completely different set of 19th
cent. and earlier editors from the ones NA27 has chosen to include in
their appendix Editionum Differentiae. So I use this interlinear for
occasional look-ups when I want to check what choices previous editors
made.

2) The Emphatic Diaglott. This volume contains the complete text of
Griesbach and an interesting translation by Benjamin Wilson, neither of
which is readily available elsewhere. It also has occasionally helpful
notes by Wilson and cross-references.

3) The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greeek Scriptures. It has
the full text of Westcott-Hort. Although this text is commonly available,
where can you get it in print brand new for under $5.00? It also
documents many of the scholarly shortcomings of the sect that produced
this volume. Useful for apologetic purposes.

I got these books for the hard-to-find material they contain, not because
they are interlinears.

Here's a suggestion to James and James (and any other publishers): You
can expand your market for interlinears by including hard-to-find
reference items. For example, how about a Tischendorf interlinear with
full critical apparatus, cross-references, grammatical notes and an
appendix with an outline of Greek grammar and all the paradigms. All this
should be packaged in a handy size say, 5 x 7, suitable for the bedside
nightstand. "Impossible!" you say? Maybe. But then I'm not in publishing.
;-)

Yours in His grace,

Richard Ghilardi - qodeshlayhvh at juno.com
West Haven, Connecticut USA