[B-Greek] Con Campbell on Interlinears

Ken Penner kpenner at stfx.ca
Tue Oct 6 13:23:22 EDT 2009

Let's not be snobs. The key question is whether the interlinear leads one to use more Greek or less. Does the interlinear make you lazy or otherwise hinder you from exercising your Greek muscles? Then avoid it. Does it make you able and excited to read more Greek? Then use it.

Of course, it's better to read straight Greek than use an interlinear. But all else being equal, I'd rather see someone using an interlinear than a translation.

Ken

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Religious Studies
St. Francis Xavier University